Tuesday 11 October 2011

Bran Nue Dae - Jimmy Chi

Almost as soon as I started reading Bran Nue Dae I knew that it wasn’t right for our season.  The play/ musical is conceptually beautiful however; it requires a stage that Griffin Theatre cannot cater for.  That said there is a certain quality to Bran Nue Dae which is gripping.  And now that we have decided that we will discuss two different venues it is possible that could be part of at least one season.  The language used in Bran Nue Dae is humorous and light, and is a crucial element to the play.  Now I know that sounds funny, the text is important to the play, of course it is, but what I’m trying to say is that the way the characters speak is important, how they say it, what they say.  It is a coming of age / coming home stories that but with Aboriginal protagonists.  So that brings me to the play Julia has done Stolen, which we have chosen to be the Indigenous Australian play -then again that is not to say we can’t use more than one, but that Bran Nue Dae definitely does not make the cut.  Another thing that I should mention is that Bran Nue Dae is a musical, which I must admit is what drew me to it first.  I thought this is different, and there might just be a place for it in the season.  But really when you think about it, it may be far too left field.  So I guess it’s time I give you the low down on this play.
Bran Nue Dae is a 1990 musical set in Broome, WA.  It portrays stories and issues relating to Indigenous Australians.  I was written by Jimmy Chi and his band Knuckles, and was the first Aboriginal musical. 
The story goes a little like this:
In the Summer of 1969 a young man is filled with the life of the idyllic old pearling port Broome - fishing, hanging out with his mates and his girl. However his mother returns him to the religious mission for further schooling. After being punished for an act of youthful rebellion, he runs away from the mission on a journey that ultimately leads him back home.”(IMDB)

For some silly reason I can't find any pictures from theatre productions of Bran Nue Dae so the 2009 film adaption will have to do.



Alice x.

No comments:

Post a Comment