Monday 17 October 2011

After Dinner - Andrew Bovell


I hate when you read something and it starts and it’s interesting and it progressing, until it gets to the peak and then it’s all downhill from there. That’s how I felt about the play I read this week. The characters were built up really well, we got to know the free spirited Paula, the emotion Misha and the controlling Dympie. And the male character to, the shy Gordon and the overly confident Stephan. They we’re written so well and I could see a conflict beginning. But when we got into Act 2, I just didn’t enjoy the play quite as much anymore.

The play is based around five people and their various issues. They’re all at a restaurant waiting for a band to begin playing for their Friday night out. We find out that Paula and Dympie are good friends and they invite their other friend Micha to dinner to help her get out of the house after her husband has just passed away. Gordon is there to meet up with his work friends as he himself is getting over his marriage break-up. As the night progresses the girls get themselves into a fight and Misha completely breaks down and lets loose, which doesn’t impress the uptight Dympie at all. Gordon shows his emotions leaving him with people assuming he’s gay, and Stephan voices his intimate problems.

The play is a dark comedy, which I understand, and for the most part there were humorous situations. There were parts which made you cringe a little, parts that made you laugh. The characters were developed well and the closing statement by Gordon wrapped the play up in a bow. But for me it wasn’t the best comedy play that I’ve ever read.

 I thought this play might fit into our season because of the broken families and I thought the play would change scenarios and situations, but it didn’t so it just wouldn’t be the best fit for our season. 

Julia

1 comment: